Wednesday 15 July 2015

Paradox - Heresy (1989)

When you hear Paradox, you should first think of Heresy. I believe that there are no major objections to this being their highlight, even though I didn't always think of it that way. I remember rushing through it and regarding it as just another generic German concoction. At that particular time, my interest was focused mainly on their heavier follow-up, that spawned 11 years after and was named Collision Course. Only later have I come to terms with Heresy, which actually became one of my all time favourites ... here's why:
It might just be the most spot on mixture of thrash and power metal out there. The entire presentation is sort to say "distinct" to the band, distinguished by not just this album but by a significant part of their discography. The prevailing theme or better yet, the established concept had to do with the Roman Catholic Crusades, that took place in Europe in the 13th century. Their entire full-length release is dedicated to the struggles of medieval bashing and slashing, that eventually ended up thrashing our eardrums. That being said, I believe the notion of being conceptualised tempts us to listen to the album in its entirety from start til end. In fact, it is a recurring theme amongst the stronger bunch, although rarely have I witnessed such an astounding level of execution. A short summary:
The startoff, which is the title song, binds it all together and provides a quick insight. It has the most memorable chorus and is accompanied by perfect bass levels, probably making it the most likeable riff you can come up with.
They claimed the "perfect way", but we've been presented with some kind of a plot-twist, with playful and surprisingly melodic guitar works after the second refrain. Now point out a band that can pull that off and still keep the threads together. It's sort of the same formula through the whole thing, maybe a bit too trivial at Crusaders Revenge concerning the whole package, but it's still good as a separate song.
Then we have Massacre of the Cathars, which to me is the highlight of the entire thing. Amazing on its own, or in conjunction to the follow up named Serenity, a beautiful piece that does not feel serene at all. Describing the aftermath that would later be additionally complemented in 700 Years On in an almost revisionalistic fashion.
Have we learnt anything from this? I believe I have. That last one was also the song that made me reconsider and evaluate Heresy. For that I have no regrets, since it has grown on becoming one of my favourite albums. It is indeed meant to be listened to as loud as possible and guarded with your life until the Inquisition comes to pull the plug and take you out as the heretic you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment