Saturday 15 November 2014

Coroner - Punishment for Decadence (1988)

Punishment? I feel rewarded for such an experience.
Simply Absorbed from the start as the title track goes. And just as I found the "key", there came the Masked Jackal, which once again reminded me of their debut R.I.P, a flash of the past if you will. It's astonishing how their musicianship has advanced, or with dignity to their earlier stuff, changed, from speed to thrash and yet again in a way that was previously inconceivable. Not even Exodus managed to undergo a refinement of this scale between their first two albums. What I also like is how every song has the ability to amaze you, riff upon riff. Not blow your intestines out but on the fine line of appreciation for the complexity coming your way. Other than that I have to admit that I am left speechless concerning the song structures.
Marky on the other hand had no problems of this sort. Perpetuating themes of death and its tempting nature induced from being manipulated with on a daily basis. Not what I would label as depressive (since there are certain bands out there, that ...), but in a way a grim reminder of the negative aspect of decadence and how it relates to individuals living a naive life. For the conclusion I am inclined to mention three gemstones; Sudden FallMasked Jackal, definitely a song to go through - it even spawned a music video afterwards if you care for those, and for desert Skeleton On Your Shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment